In the spring of 1875, Roscommon was visited by the Rev. E. Branch who came under the auspices of the American Methodist Missionary Society. A church was organized and named the First Congregational Church of Roscommon. This was the first Protestant Church to come to town.
In April, 1880 the trustees agreed to request the American Congregational Union to assist the church in erecting it's first structure. This was a frame building painted white with a high belfry over the entrance.
In 1921, a basement was added to the church with a kitchen entrance. Repairs and modifications were made to the belfry.
April 17, 1926, the church burned. By the time the alarm was sounded the whole structure was in flames and beyond possible control. The cause was thought to be a chimney structure.
Church services were first held in the parsonage and then shortly there-after moved to the Colonial Theatre. On September 20, 1926, the Trustees awarded a contract for a new structure. The Church building was completed in January, 1928 and was dedicated on July 15, 1928. This is known as the "stone" church.
In May, 1956 the congregation decided to enlarge the sanctuary and basement. During a building fund drive part of the facade collapsed and the foundation was deemed unworthy of additions.
The last Sunday church service held in the stone church was on April 14, 1961. During construction of a new building the congregation worshipped at Pioneer Hill.
The present church building was designed by Alden B. Dow of Midland, MI. The rustic exterior siding and the interior finishes are a reflection of the beutiful natural features of the area around Roscommon. The first Sunday morning service was held in the present building on February 25, 1962.
A Centennial Celebration service was held on August 17, 1975.